Thursday, August 27, 2009

Laying Down the Sword

Laying Down the Sword

Fractured light against the sky
As clouds conceal the westward flight,
Autumn colors that brightly shine
Announce the coming of the night.

The day is ending, as it should
Content that I have done my best,
While others bid me labor on
I desire to be at rest.

With the ending now before me
To the victor goes the race,
The finish line is clearly drawn
In the lines upon my face.

Like a warrior from the battle
For peace my soul doth seek,
The spirit strong and willing
The flesh so very weak.

Weep not for me my children
Weep not for me my friend,
This is a new beginning
And, not a tragic end.

I am called to others labors
In the service of my Lord,
I’m not giving up the battle
I’m just laying down my sword.

(William E. Lee)
December 1998
Copyright 1998

Dedicated to:

Mary Margaret Bourne McQuade

No comments:

Post a Comment