Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Come Not Here, To Mourn

Come Not Here, To Mourn

The wind it blows so cold here
And yet I am so warm.
The clouds they gather darkness
But here there is no storm.

Loved ones come to see me
Such sadness on their face.
I know not why they come here,
I dwell not in this place.

Even when they must come,
Their visits are so brief.
They come here seeking comfort,
Yet leave with pain and grief.

It's true my body lies here
In this prison with no bars;
But soon will rise triumphant,
To soar as an eagle through the stars.

The place in which I dwell now,
There is time and space.
I've come to rest from labor
Now you must run the race.

Why do they so oft forget
What the angel to Mary said?
"Why seek ye the living
Here among the dead?"

So if you still must come here
Of this please let me warn;
Come to seek and praise your God,
But come not here, to mourn.

William E Lee
December 25, 1989
Copyright 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment