Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Forgive

Forgive


Forgive,
The scripture seemed to read,
As once again I’d look.
Forgive,
The scripture clearly said,
Annoyed I closed the book.
“Forgive“,
The Spirit softly spoke,
Startled I did fear.
Forgive,
The Spirit louder spoke,
I pretended not to hear.
“Forgive“,
The Saviour said to me,
I quickly questioned , Why?
“Forgive“,
The Saviour said again,
“For this I came to die.”

Then bitterly I cried out
How canst thou know my pain?
The wounds that I have suffered
My tears that fell like rain.
The quietly he spoke my name
And said, “I understand”.
Reached out that he may lift me
With wounds in both his hands.
Ashamed I said, How can I?
He reminded me again,
“For he who will not forgive,
In him lies the greater sin.”

Forgive,
The scripture seemed to read,
As once again I’d look.
Forgive,
The scripture clearly read,
I then embraced the book.
“Forgive“,
The Spirit softly spoke,
Now I did not fear.
“Forgive“,
The Spirit said again,
Once deaf, I now can hear.
“Forgive“,
The Saviour said to me,
“To you this gift I give.”
“Forgive,”
The Savior said again,
“Do this and ye shall live.”


William E. Lee
Copyright 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment